We’re a small crew of mission-driven, people-focused professionals proud to be living in The Bull City, North Carolina.
Meet Our Team
OUR MISSION AND VISION
“We want to offer students dignity, purpose, hope and new opportunities by equipping them to create and by inviting them to be part of something bigger than themselves.”
It might sound a little deep for us to assert that helping people transition careers into software engineering is our way of offering “dignity”, “purpose” and “hope”, but we really believe that this is at the core of what we’re doing. Not that our fellows don’t have these things when they arrive at Project Shift, but we recognize that those who apply for our program are stepping out in hopes of doing a job they love. In that sense, doing meaningful work and thinking of your career as a vocation really does bring you newfound dignity, purpose and hope.
We are propelling our mission forward by building a wholistic tech education and creating a new category for software education – a “software engineering fellowship”. This means:
- We are highly selective in admissions, yet inclusive and striving to tear down barriers for minorities in tech.
- We are people over profit and seek to create an environment that invests deeply in each student. We therefore only select students when we’re confident they’ll do well in our program, we strive to keep classes small and we ensure that the instructor to student ratio remains high. We’ll never grow beyond our one campus in Raleigh-Durham.
- We are making up for what is lacking in Computer Science education by training our fellows to operate in real-world software engineering teams using the latest technologies and best practices. At the same time, we’re not just another “Coding Bootcamp” in that we value and teach the deeper concepts that have proved invaluable from university Computer Science programs.
- We are combating the negative stigmas that many “Coding Bootcamps” have perpetuated with transparency and student-first placement statistics.
- Ultimately we care about the whole person and have built a program around developing people first – in both skills and character.